Are You Eligible?
What is required to apply to become a registered Indian?
Complete an Adult Application for Registration as an Indian form along with providing the following;
- Original birth certificate (listing parents' names)
And, if applicable:
- Legal change of name document or marriage certificate, if the name you are applying under is different from your Birth Certificate
You will be required to provide information about yourself, your parents and your grandparents including legal names, dates of birth, band name and registration numbers, contact information and adoption information (if relevant).
- Applicant (16 years of age and older)
- Parental / Guardian Signatures when applying on behalf of a minor child (15 years of age or younger) or dependant adult
Registration under the Indian Act
This pamphlet describes who is eligible for registration as an Indian under the Indian Act. Registration as an Indian does not happen automatically; you must apply.
What defines the eligibility for Indian Status?
The Indian Act defines eligibility for Indian Status (i.e. Registered Indians). The Indian Register is the official record identifying all Status Indians in Canada.
You are eligible for registration if:
- You were entitled to registration prior to the changing of the Indian Act on April 17, 1985;
- You lost your Indian Status as a result of your marriage to a non-Indian man (s. 12(1)(b)), including enfranchisement upon your marriage to a non-Indian man (s. 109(2));
- Your mother and father's mother did not have status under the Indian Act, before their marriage and you lost your status at the age of 21 (s.12 (1)(a)(iv) – referred to commonly as the double-mother rule);
- Your registration was successfully protested on the grounds that your father did not have status under the Indian Act, however your mother had status;
- You lost your registration because you or your parents applied to give up registration and First Nation membership through the process known as "enfranchisement"; or
- You are a child of persons listed in 1 to 5 above;
You may also be eligible for registration if only one of your parents is eligible to be registered under Section 6(1) of the Indian Act.
Days of Operation
Mondays & Wednesdays
1:00 PM till 4:00 PM
780-645-4288 ext 200
4901 - 47 Street
St. Paul, AB